Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Our Vacation to The Sunny State



As a Christmas present from the in-laws our family of four got to go to Florida this past January to visit them in their new home. It was exciting not only because it was a two week vacation, but also because it was a new experience for my husband and the boys. None of them had been to the ocean before and I just had to take them to my old stomping grounds in Sarasota.  Our first trip to the beach was to Siesta Key Beach. That was the beach I went to the most often and the sand is by far the finest sand I have yet to experience. We also made trips to Lido Key and Clearwater Beach. The closest beach for us to visit during the trip was Clearwater Beach and it was also the best one we went to for beach-combing with the family. 
These are my favorite finds from Lido Key


This little vial contains miniature shells and fragments of a starfish skeleton. It also has the little "doves" from a very small sand dollar that my husband found but it didn't last the trip home. :( 

From left to right the broken sand dollar my husband found, Lido Beach sand, Siesta Key Beach sand and the little fragments I mentioned earlier. It fascinates me how different the sand can be between Lido and Siesta but they are right next to each other.





My littlest turned one year old during our trip! We just had a cute quiet party at Grandmomma and Granddad's house with a homemade birthday cake. He wasn't too aware of the fact that it was his birthday, but we had fun celebrating anyway. 

My favorite photo from the whole trip.


Crazy spanish moss on most of the trees down there. I'm not sure whether I like it or not.

Grandmomma was looking forward to this moment. Taking her grandson on the merry-go-round at Disney's Magic Kingdom. Tobiah had a great time there. He got to meet Buzz Lightyear, Woody and Jessie. He loved the Buzz Lightyear and Little Mermaid ride the best.

We did a great deal of thrifting during our trip. Grandmomma picked up this small motorcycle bike for my son as a surprise. He fell in love with it. Once we put some training wheels on it we had a hard time keeping him off of it. Luckily the places where my in-laws live they mostly drive golf carts around so the roads are pretty clear and safe.



I worked on two projects while I was down there. My Mother-inlaw just happened to have   a yellow that was perfect for finishing off my cheese embroidery. The color was just a little off, but it is only noticeable to me. I actually liked the contrast it added since one of the cheeses was marbled already (The swiss cheese was the one I ran out of thread for). Since I was in the summer spirit in the winter I also worked on a beach ball. Simple and free hand with some french knots for some fun texture. I love the simplicity of some of the designs I've been working on. These are both available on our Mumre Etsy shop right now too!


The lighthearted designs of single objects somehow help me reminisce on the better things in life. I tend to think back on my childhood when I played with my sister outside everyday, or hanging out with all the cousins at our family get togethers. I also get excited about our little family's future. Raising our kids on this beautiful campground, growing up with their cousins, and all of our own special memories we will create. 



It's been a busy couple of months for my family and I hope to post about everything soon! Sorry it's been a while!


- Hannah






No comments:

Post a Comment