Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Family Garden

Out where I live there are a couple acres of property designated as a community garden. When I first moved in I wasn't sure how much I would actually be interested in utilizing any of the land. It took a year, but now my family is really into it. In fact, my family (three households of us) have a little over 5,000 sq ft all to ourselves! My mother has always had an amazing green thumb and has enjoyed gardening her entire life. I'm fairly new at this whole growing thing, but I'm in love with gratification of growing something so beautiful and being able to harvest it later for a fantastic meal. 


This year we have decided to try out a new approach to gardening called sustainable permaculture. A family member suggest we watch a film online called "Back to Eden" explaining the methods for gardening in depth. Their website even provides pretty extensive instructions, but it leaves room for you to figure out what works best for you in your location. By adding new covering to your garden you just keep adding more and more nutrients as the year goes on with no tilling involved at all! It's already really impressed us, especially the weeding aspect of it.


I suggest checking them out and get growing!







-Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment